Saturday 4 June 2011

How to change the shutter speed on Canon Rebel XSI 12 Mega Pixel.?

I need to learn how to slow down the shutter speed, to blur background and create cool affects. How do i change this speed using this camera? (detailed instrustions please) thanks :)|||Flip the control dial on camera from the green box (auto) to the %26quot;M%26quot; or %26quot;S%26quot; mode. M is manual where you will control both the aperture (which can also help with the effects you want) and shutter speed. The %26quot;S%26quot; is shutter priority where you pick the shutter speed and the camera will pick the aperture needed.





There should be another dial by the shutter button, turn this to the left or right to change the shutter speed.





I%26#039;m pretty sure that%26#039;s how it goes, most of my cameras are nikon :)|||I agree that it is annoying when people ask easily solved questions, but Steve P and andy w you dont know my situation, and I recived this camera second handed, meaning my friend bought a new one and gave this one to me! I did not have the manual included! Forgive me for trying to learn.

Report Abuse


|||I use Manual mode, if you%26#039;re familiar with how to do that, switch to the %26quot;M%26quot; on the selector dial.





If you want to just decide the shutter speed and let the camera take care of the rest, switch the dial to %26quot;TV.%26quot; That way, the wheel on top will decide your shutter speed and the camera will figure out the aperture from there. If you%26#039;re outside, I recommend shooting at 100 ISO. If you%26#039;re inside, 400 or higher is probably best.





Also, with long exposures, make sure to use a tripod of some sort!|||Have you actually thought to READ THE MANUAL and actually find out how your camera works?|||Why do you expect people to take their time to tell you the same thing that is plainly explained in your camera owners manual? You could have easily found the answer in the time it took to sign on here, post the question, and wait for an answer. I%26#039;m surprised anyone gave you an answer. One of the most aggravating things on this forum is people asking how to do this or that because they are too lazy to bother to find the answer in their own manual.





I will tell you this. A slow shutter speed is NOT going to blur the background. All that is going to do is blur the entire photo if you are hand holding the camera and / or blur any movement in the photo. For a blurred background you need to utilize a wide aperture.





Now come back and ask how to adjust the aperture....





..... sheesh.....





steve