Wednesday 21 September 2011

How to change the aperture and the shutter at the same time?

I have a Nikon D40, and whenever I change the shutter speed, and then go to aperture, the shutter speed goes back to normal. How do I use both of them at the same time?
How to change the aperture and the shutter at the same time?
Not sure about the Nikon, but on my Canon you would set to the M or manual mode and then make your adjustments.



Best of luck
How to change the aperture and the shutter at the same time?
If you use shutter priority, when you set the shutter it will set the aperture for you, or in aperture priority, when you set the aperture it will set the shutter speed for you, so you get the correct exposure. You have to use the manual mode to set both. Set it to M then set the aperture and shutter speed. Check in your viewfinder that you will be getting the exposure you want, then press the shutter button.



edit-Unless you are already in manual mode. Then I have no idea because I don't own a Nikon and can't tell you if it is a problem or if there is a trick to it.
Sounds like you need to study your owner's manual some more. But to answer your question, you have to put the camera in M , manual, mode to be able to adjust both the shutter and aperture.



steve
read your user manual. set your camera to m (manual) mode then adjust your ap/ shutter speed to your liking.



If this doesn't work then you have to ask yourself if your camera has some auto-metering override happening. I have a d70 and a d300 -- neither have that, but I don't know about the d40. If so, adjust your iso then try again.



I'm betting all will be revealed if you read your manual, though.



have fun.